Move over English Muffin Pizza’s, there is a new quickie pizza in town. Pizza is just about every kids favorite food group, and my boys sure aren’t the exception to this rule. We can really tear through homemade sourdough pizza’s on pizza night, but this ultra crispy, crackery, thin crust is so fast and easy to prepare, it’s just fantastic for a wicked fast weekday lunch or supper.
This healthy, wholesome pizza recipe is really fantastic for a last minute meal and it is so easy to work with that it’s great for children to help out with. If you don’t have sprouted flour, you can soak the whole wheat dough at room temperature overnight, or of course you can use organic all purpose flour. (Soaking whole grains will insure the best nutrient absorption, and it makes the grains easier to digest.)
Whole-Wheat Kefir Pizza Crust
If you don’t happen to have whole fat, plain kefir you can use plain, whole fat yogurt or clabber. Kefir naturally contains yeasts that will lighten the crust without using a commercial leavener, if you do not have it available add 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder to your dough.
- 1 1/2 Cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour or Sprouted Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Homemade Kefir (or unflavored whole milk kefir)
- 1/2 Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Organic Maple Syrup
In a bowl combine all ingredients. Knead the dough together a bit, just 4 or 5 times to make a smooth ball. Cover and set aside until needed or use immediately.
To Prepare Pizza’s:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Divide dough into 4 to 8 balls. (Four balls will make four 10-ish inch, thin crust pizza’s.)
- Lightly flour your working surface with all purpose flour and roll each round into a thin circle or rectangle, or even a rustic shaggy shape if you’d like. (You can roll the dough directly on a non-stick silicone baking sheet, a pizza peel or the flat, back side of a baking tray.)
- Top your dough with your favorite sauce and cheese and transfer to your pizza stone or bake directly on your lined tray. (For the best results, keep toppings to a minimum.)
- Bake pizza’s for 15 minutes or until golden and crispy.