I’m always looking to make quick, hearty meals that I can stash in the refrigerator or freezer for later. Meal prep for me usually is a tray of green vegetables and a tray of chicken and hard boiled eggs, but I also like to make quick skillet dishes. My easy one dish meals are typically cooked in the same way but with different flavorings, or tweaks to the recipe to accommodate for what I have on hand.
Skillet dishes have the essence of a casserole, they’re one pot suppers that are fast and wholesome. Concepts are flexible with meals like this and I can change flavors and ingredients around as I need to. A popular dish for me is ground beef and cabbage “noodles.” I make just plain beef and cabbage in a skillet and add flavor. Typically I go Italian or Asian, but this variety is cheesy. It’s legit awesome. The comforting flavors of mac and cheese meet up with my need to have meals prepared ahead of time.
Cheesy Cabbage and Beef
I almost always have cabbage in my fridge. It’s cheap, healthy and it lasts basically forever in the fridge. Ground beef or venison grind is also always in my freezer because of hunting, or bulk buying. (I buy in bulk to save money on grass-fed organic beef from the farm.) You can use whichever ground meat you prefer, venison, beef, or even pork, chicken or turkey. I like beef because this cheesy bowl I’ll eat with dill pickle, a bit of sliced onion and mustard, and its sort of got the essence of cheeseburgers. (Now that I think about it. Bacon might be awesome in this too!) It’s sort of got the hamburger helper essence, but you know… without chemicals and garbage.
Makes Roughly 3 Portions – (Use more cabbage to squeeze it into 4 meals)
- About A Pound of Cabbage, 1/2 Head, sliced into strips or shredded
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic and onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon Spicy Brown Mustard
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Grated
+ Marjoram or Herb Seasoning For Garnish
- In a 9-10″ skillet, brown beef over medium high heat until it is cooked through most of the way.
- Add cabbage and cook until it is tender.
- Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, mustard, cream cheese, salt and pepper.
- Once the dish is mixed together you can either stir in the cheese until it is melted, or sprinkle the cheese on top and broil it on high until browned.