Paleo + Whole 30 Compatible – Gluten Free – Dairy Free (optional)
Stroganoff is a traditional Russian recipe made with sliced beef and sour cream. It’s typically served over egg noodles, I sometimes do organic spaghetti but normally I make mine with rice because it’s something I always have on hand. (and its cheaper) This dish commonly uses cuts of stewing meat but this recipe utilizes ground beef.
I often use this recipe with stewed venison if we have game in the freezer and I’ve actually planned ahead, but most nights I make this with grind because I always have a lot on hand in some form or another an it is wicked easy to throw a pound of frozen meat into the pot and brown it up without much notice.
This easy, gluten-free recipe is super fast and affordable. This meal takes one pound of ground beef and really stretches it out. Depending on how
stingy frugal you are, you can stretch this meal out with lots of rice and serve four to 8 people. I buy 85% lean, grassfed ground beef in bulk orders of 40 pounds so that we can get local, high quality beef. Ground beef is an amazing way to save money on your food budget no matter where on the scale you rest, but I do highly recommend using natural beef or venison whenever possible. If this is not feasible, read your beef label to insure there are no additives or preservatives.
Primal: Ground Beef Stroganoff
Even though I do serve this with pasta sometimes, I always make my gravy the same way. I made it one time when I was experimenting, and that’s how I’ve made it every time since. It just seems easier. Most traditional recipes are flavored with white wine, I don’t often cook with wine because… well it just seems like a waste and it’s expensive. This recipe is simple, hearty and easily modified if you are following a Whole 30 or Paleo diet.
Serves- 4 to 8
- Bacon Grease
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 Small Onion, Sliced
- 8 ounces sliced Baby porta Bella mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup Potato Starch
- 2 Cups Broth/Water (divided)
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar-Free Worcestershire
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder + Onion Powder
- 1/2 t Salt and Pepper
- 1 Cup Sour Cream, Unflavored Coconut Yogurt or Coconut Milk (Full-Fat)
+ Steamed Rice, Cabbage “Noodles” or Pasta.
- Over medium-High heat, in a 2 quart pot melt bacon grease
- Fry ground beef until mostly cooked. (DON’T discard the fat!)
- Once the meat has browned and liquid has reduced, add onion and saute’ until they are softened.
- Add the mushrooms, Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook until the mushrooms have softened.
- Combine potato starch with 1 cup of water or broth and stir it into the meat combo, until its blended.
- Once the mixture has come back to a boil add remaining 1 cup of broth (or more as needed) and stir to combine.
- Remove from the heat and stir in sour cream or Dairy free alternative.
Serve this hearty recipe with a fresh salad or steamed veggies. If you are following a dairy-free/paleo diet, substitute the sour cream with coconut yogurt that is un-flavored, or full fat coconut milk.