Mayonnaise hasn’t always been my favorite but that has recently changed, especially since I have found this recipe. For the past few years I have foolishly been purchasing tiny jars of “not so terrible” natural mayo that costs about $5 a jar. Conventional mayonnaise not only has toxic GMO oils such as soy and canola, but it also contains chemicals and preservatives that are really bad for you. I inconsistently have made my own for years now but I have had several batches that broke or simply never emulsified properly. (FYI- these oops mayo’s make for great dressings. Ranch & cole slaw dressing to be precise.) So mostly I just avoided using mayo unless the guys really, really wanted it. I started using my stick blender and began having better but still somewhat dodgy results until someone on Instagram recommended the mason jar method. Even using a steel tumbler over the straight edged mason jar seems to make all the difference in the world when it comes to absolutely consistent results. I truly never need to buy crappy expensive mayo again and I honestly have not since I learned how to make this life changing mayonnaise. I see a lot of people complain that they would rather buy a “good mayo” but there really is no need to. Now those are big words sure, but not only have I found the holy grail-method, but the flavor is SPOT ON every time. Identical to that divine original we all grew up adoring. But better . . . And it literally only takes a minute to make. It is stupid fast and easy and this fool proof method works every time. The only time I have had mixed results is when I tried doubling or tripling the recipe, because yes it is THAT GOOD.
Some might call this an aoili since we are adding some garlic but I assure you that one clove, an aoili this does not make. Now if you are like me and you like the garlic to punch you in the face, add 2 to 3 cloves. Then I suppose you can call it aoili? Use this for sandwiches, salads, or fries. This time of year I am using it on Macaroni Salad and Potato Salad, burgers and even hot dogs. Really this recipe can be trouble, so prepare it at your own risk.
Easy Homemade Mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 3/4 to 1 cup Clean, Organic Oil (I use primarily Sesame)
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fine Celtic Sea Salt, More To Taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons to 1 Tablespoon Vinegar or Lemon Juice (I use Raw- Apple Cider Vinegar, Kombucha Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar)
- Place the egg into a wide mouth majon jar.
- Add oil to make about 1 cup. (Or add 3/4 cup of oil and add the egg, if you use more oil the mayo will be looser, less oil will result in a slightly tighter mayo)
- Toss in the salt and garlic clove.
- Place the immersion blender blade over top of the yolk and garlic.
- Blend the mixture while lifting the stick up and down until the mayonnaise is smooth and the oil has combined.
- Stir in vinegar, season further to taste.
- Refrigerate until needed.