I love chicken, admittedly I am guilty of NEEDING bulk buy options for chicken because I eat a lot of it, especially when I am eating clean and grain free. While most chefs and real-foodies extraordinaire hate the boneless & skinless chicken, I happen to adore it. Sure, I love a crispy chicken thigh or a perfectly grilled drumstick, and don’t get me started on how much I totally dig wings! Yummmm….
Wait, What was I saying? Utility chicken, right. Every time I go shopping I buy packs of organic chicken to grill or bake ahead so that I have fast food available. As most people know, I have struggled with my weight all of my life, so while I make my family their favorites like fried chicken, pizza or enchiladas, I tend to stay very basic with what I eat. Having whole- foods and proteins prepped in advance just makes my life an awful lot easier. I always keep lots of varieties of chicken at hand for salads or suppers but this is my go to, never-fails-to-please recipe.
Meal Prep Chicken: Whole 30, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Paleo/Primal
This recipe is always amazing. (even when I burn it) Whether grilled or baked, this chicken is flavorful but still subtle enough that I can toss it into just about anything from salads to casseroles. The key to this recipe is actually a trick I learned from my Dad. The secret is Mayo. Of course I use homemade mayo because, I don’t buy conventional mayonnaise, but you can use whatever mayo you adore best. The mayonnaise keeps the chicken moist and it helps prevent sticking when you grill it. Side note: It also seems to be a mild flame retardant . . .
The other key to this chicken is hot sauce. One of my all time favorite kitchen staples is hot sauce. I like the popular hot wing sauce brand but Mexican style hot sauce or other hot sauces will work. You want one that is not super vinegary. Aside from hot sauce and mayo the recipe is totally flexible. Add spices and herbs, lemon juice and Italian herbs is nice but all you really need is love! (and mayonnaise, hot sauce and chicken)
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken (thighs or breasts)
- 1/4 Cup Homemade Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Hot Sauce (make sure there is no sugar added!)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Sea Salt & Pepper
Juice of 1 Lemon and A pinch of Italian Seasoning (optional)
- Combine marinade ingredients. Stir thoroughly to make sure that the dry spices incorporate into the marinade.
- Prepare the chicken into tenders or reasonable sized pieces if necessary. (for breasts I either halve them or cut them into tenders. You can pound them thinner for faster cooking.)
- Combine the chicken with the marinade for at least 20 minutes. Overnight or wicked long term prep is un-necessary.
- Grill over medium high heat until chicken is cooked thoroughly. (this will vary according to what cut of chicken you are using and how you have cut your pieces.)
- Serve immediately or stow away for future meals. I divide mine into single sized portions and toss them into the freezer and I thaw a portion about 20 minutes before I want it.
To Bake or Slow Cooker The Chicken-
Epic Baked Chicken: Lightly oil a sheet pan and place chicken out evenly on the tray. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Epic Slow-Cooker Shredded Chicken: Cook on low 3-4 hours and shred the chicken when its tender.