Over the years I have had a love/hate relationship with “healthy food.” Sure I love a big bowl of fries and beer from time to time but clean, fresh dishes are also satisfying. I’ve really grown to adore middle Eastern flavors , they can be really simple but flavorful and Hummus and pita are comfort foods of mine now.
This simple salad is fantastic with pita and homemade hummus, it’s great over greens served with your favorite grilled protein (and maybe a drizzle of tahini) or it can be combined with quinoa , cous cous or even cooked pasta! If you have fresh parsley available to you, use loads of it for a herbaceous and healthy treat.
Chickpea Salad with Harissa and Preserved Lemon Dressing
- 1 Tablespoon, Minced preserved lemons
- 1 Tablespoon Harissa paste
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 English cucumber, Sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley ( I used dry , but fresh is better!)
- 1/2 Cup Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Bell Pepper , any color – diced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (preferably homemade)
- 3 Green onions (sliced thinly)
Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Mix the salad ingredients and toss to combine them. Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss it together. (It’s over dressed to help flavor your other dishes!)
Serve with pita and home-made hummus or over a bed of greens with grilled chicken or shrimp.