I don’t always have time to prepare numerous meals. As I’ve mentioned in the past, I follow a predominantly primal, produce and protein based diet. I am not exclusively grain or gluten-free, but to balance my health and maintain my weight, several days a week I limit my carbohydrates and I almost never eat sugar or refined grains. My family follows a more balanced traditional diet that includes grains, natural sweeteners, beans and … What most normal families eat. Things like spaghetti and apple pie!
This dish is an example of a quick, satisfying, and easy one-skillet meal that is versatile, easy and delicious. It’s great for me, and they will eat it too. (Usually dishes like this they will eat with rice) My kids haven’t always been such good eaters, but over the years they’ve really gotten good about at least trying what I’ve put on the table. When vegetables are concerned, I’ll admit… I bribe them sometimes with the promise of something better to come. Cabbage hasn’t always been their favorite, but by adding certain happy foods like bacon or cheese, they come around.
Chicken and Cabbage Skillet with Bacon, Juniper & Caraway
Sugar Free- Paleo- Gluten Free- Grain Free- Whole 30 -Low Carb – Budget Meal
This recipe is reminiscent of the German style cabbage dishes I grew up with, however there is no sugar or booze in this recipe. Cabbage is an amazing, nourishing ingredient that is not only cheap, but it lasts almost forever in the fridge or cold storage and its incredibly versatile. This soulful recipe is seasoned with bacon, juniper and caraway, and of course there’s some chicken thighs for good measure. You could add any variety of potatoes , sliced apples, white beans, or maybe even a drizzle of honey! This recipe as-is written, is Paleo, primal, low-carb, whole 30 (with compliant bacon) and budget friendly. Add more juniper and caraway to taste.
- 6 slices of bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 4 chicken thighs, cut into pieces (boneless/skinless)
- 2 big hand fulls of sliced cabbage (about half of a medium sized head)
- 1 t Juniper (berries) + 1 teaspoon caraway (crushed)
Sea Salt, Pepper and Apple Cider Vinegar TO TASTE
- In a skillet over medium heat. Fry bacon slices until crisped.Remove from the pan and set aside on a paper towel. DO NOT DISCARD THE GREASE.
- Cook chicken thighs in the skillet. About 5 minutes.
- Once thighs are cooked set them aside and add the cabbage to the pan along with juniper, caraway, salt and pepper.
- Cook the cabbage 5-6 minutes and add chicken thighs and bacon to the pan. Cook a few moments longer or don’t. It’s good either way.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Season with salt and pepper and add about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
Note: Apple cider vinegar is a healthy raw ingredient. Adding it to the hot skillet will cook it. I like to wait until the skillet is cool enough to eat before adding the vinegar. If it will burn your mouth, it will burn your ACV.